I like sharing my recipe testing course of, and even have a whole part on my web site devoted to Newest Recipe Testing. My workforce and I’ve been busy within the kitchen, ensuring there are many reliable, trusted recipes so that you can do this fall and vacation season!
At the moment I’m displaying you among the current recipe checks in my kitchen, together with some winners… and a few fails. With the beginning of fall, I’ve had pumpkin and apple a-plenty, however that’s undoubtedly not all!
Have you ever had a recipe that failed lately?
The Good Pumpkin Muffin
Whereas there’s no scarcity of pumpkin muffin and cupcake recipes on my website, I’ve been on a quest to excellent the important pumpkin muffin recipe. As a result of typically you don’t need all of the further-ness of pumpkin cheesecake muffins and pumpkin crumb cake muffins. Typically you simply need to shortly whip up a batch of merely pumpkin muffins.
Primary does NOT should equal boring, and these deliciously gentle, moist, and flavorful pumpkin muffins are proof of that! (Although including some chocolate chips is completely acceptable.) That is the pumpkin muffin recipe you’ll need to make repeatedly, as a result of it’s dependable, simple, and satisfying.
To search out the proper pumpkin muffin recipe, we examined variations of recipes already on my website:
- Pumpkin Cupcakes: Too gentle, gentle, & cakey to be a muffin. (Although it definitely might be!)
- Pumpkin Crumb Cake Muffins: So tasty. However a tad too candy to be an “on a regular basis” form of muffin.
- Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes: Yummy, however not sufficient pumpkin taste.
- Pumpkin Bread: A favourite! However just like the pumpkin crumb cake muffins, a tad too candy for an “on a regular basis” breakfast.
The pumpkin crumb cake muffins (#2) and pumpkin bread (#4) recipes are so comparable and that’s what I ended up utilizing—I simply lowered the sugar. Like most muffin recipes, the batter wants a liquid. You should use complete milk, buttermilk, or any dairy or nondairy milk you get pleasure from. I truly use orange juice in my pumpkin bread recipe, and you might definitely use it in these muffins too.
ALL THE MUFFINS! The perfect pumpkin muffins are on the prime:
Creamier Salted Caramel Frosting
I’ve been engaged on this frosting for a very long time and it’s higher than ever now: see the brand new & improved salted caramel frosting, after which let me stroll you thru the recipe testing.
The recipe has truly lived on my website for a number of years and a few readers have been reporting problem and recipe fails. Again to testing…
Workforce member Beth and I made so many batches in someday that we questioned if we’d begin seeing pop-up adverts for dentists in our social media accounts, LOL. Frustratingly, the frosting batches stored yielding completely different outcomes. One was too laborious, one other too grainy, and so on.
- First, we examined utilizing chilly butter vs. room temperature butter.
- After which we examined utilizing complete milk as a substitute of cream.
- Then we modified the pan.
- After which it was darkish or gentle brown sugar.
You recognize dueling pianos? Properly, we had dueling salted caramel saucepans going at one level, attempting to get this recipe to prove effectively persistently.
But it surely wasn’t the butter, milk vs. cream, pan, gentle vs. darkish brown sugar, and so on. The issue was merely overcooking it! The recipe used to name for boiling the caramel sauce for 3 minutes, which is simply too lengthy for my new range. For precise recipe success, you want a sweet thermometer right here. The caramel ought to boil solely till it reaches a temperature of 230°F (110°C), after which ought to be faraway from the warmth. The time that takes varies from range to range and pan to pan.
Additionally, just remember to totally mix the melted butter and brown sugar BEFORE including the heavy cream and salt. If there’s a layer of oily butter on prime of the cooking combination, your batch of brown sugar caramel will prove grainy:
And right here’s the caramel for those who cook dinner it too lengthy. That is precise actual caramel that I over-cooked, cooled within the pan too lengthy, then tried to switch to a bowl. Are you able to think about this as frosting? What a multitude:
I received’t go into an excessive amount of element right here, however have you ever seen this up to date confetti cake? Solely a pair slight modifications to the previous recipe—the cake is a bit lighter, extra moist, and even simpler to prep.
Coming Quickly: Crammed Chocolate Cupcakes
Spoiler alert: Later this week I’m publishing a brand new chocolate cupcake taste/variation. It’s in all probability my new favourite cupcake recipe, and I’m so excited to share it with you!
I used to be hesitant to make use of this chocolate cupcakes recipe as the bottom for this upcoming variation. The chocolate taste isn’t as robust because it could possibly be, and a few readers have reported having hassle with the cupcakes sinking within the center. So I opted to check a pair new chocolate cupcake recipes:
- Check #1: We used this small chocolate cake recipe and doubled the batter elements. The flavour was a bit meh, particularly compared to the subsequent batch we examined.
- Check #2: We used fan-favorite chocolate cake and halved the elements. The flavour of those was WOW. However they have been a bit sticky, which made them difficult to carve into for a filling. (Sure, the cupcakes can be crammed!)
- Check #3: We changed the buttermilk with bitter cream, to see if that made the cupcakes a bit sturdier. It did, however the taste was not so good as the buttermilk batch, they usually weren’t as moist.
- Check #4+ (we misplaced depend!): We continued to mess around with buttermilk vs. bitter cream, and the quantity of oil and egg, however nothing may examine to Check Batch #2 when it got here to pure chocolatey taste. However we did uncover that refrigerating the cupcakes for a short while earlier than slicing into them helped loads with the sticky-soft texture concern. Keep tuned later this week for the recipe!
I do know these look burnt, however it was bizarre lighting and this was taken with a telephone. Numerous batches and many style testers having fun with frosting-less cupcakes:
Not Coming Quickly: Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
I believed pumpkin sage dinner rolls can be a giant hit, however they turned out to be a giant miss. Pumpkin by itself doesn’t have a robust taste, which is why we’re all the time including pumpkin pie spice to it in our baking. Utilizing pumpkin in a yeast dough works for pumpkin cinnamon rolls, however in all probability due to the candy pumpkin spice filling.
However when pairing it with herby sage, style testers and I couldn’t style the pumpkin in any respect. All of the pumpkin did was flip the dough yellow. (Although the sage taste was wonderful!) My husband questioned why the dinner rolls have been so… mustardy yellow. “Are you able to style the pumpkin?” I requested. And he replied, “Tastes like… yellow.”
Again to the drafting board! The workforce and I’ll hold testing, and hopefully give you a greater model. Keep tuned!
P.S. I hope to proceed to publish an increasing number of Recipe Testing posts, particularly once I get deep into my cookbook manuscript subsequent yr. Sure, my 4th cookbook is underway! 😉
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail sequence is a good place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.